Thursday 8 May 2014

Sara is ew

Hi, I am in the hospital, on unit 81 at the Rocky. I'm on a narcotic drip and fairly anemic so this might not make the most sense. Dr Johnston said the surgery went really well and he's happy with the joint alignment. Waiting for the surgery was its own terrifying experience I'll profile later. Surgery was five hours. I spent for hours in recovery. The shakes I got from the anesthetic terrified me- so convulsive and strong. My pain was terrible but they got it in control with hydromorphone. I made it up to the unit afterwards and met Dan and my mom. I was so crazy high. Giving myself toast was a game of here comes the airplane. My lips were the same color as my skin. Not cool. The night was rough. I hurt and when I feel asleep the pain would build up and them I'd wake up. Plus I am on the same side of the unit with all the bed alarms. Not a restive environment. Today was long. I was feeling gross and couldn't believe I'd ever get better or that I could survive another surgery. I felt way better after physio. I stood! Up! Sitting on the side of the bed and then standing is probably the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm very proud. The physio said I was her best PAO post op day one ever. I have also never been so pale or felt so woosy. So its evening and I am hoping to stand one more time tonight. I'm pretty whack-a-do still. I think I make sense but the drugs and low hemoglobin make me shaky and make it hard to keep my eyes open. Anyways that is my post op day one review. Thanks for all the good vibes, I'm using them all up!

Update: I atood again! Feels so good!

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear everything went well. I know the shivering from the anaesthetic can be disconcerting, but it is totally normal. It happens to a lot of people. I hope you have a very speedy recovery!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you read this again when you're a little more clear-headed. I think you'll give yourself a pretty good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't mean to delete that. I said "great to hear and I know that you'll have a speedy recovery."

      Delete
  4. Yay! Glad to hear you're standing :) Awesome.

    ReplyDelete